Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Many Styles of Sadie

I knew that when my Ethiopian-born daughter was old enough that I would need to tackle the hair situation. Situation meaning I am a white mama who has never done black hair. I knew that this was going to be an enormous part of my mothering her and I didn't want to screw it up.

Enter Youtube.

I cannot tell you how many hours of Youtube black hair videos I have watched. Bless Youtube. Seriously.

Without further ado, here are some of the many simple styles I have done for Sadie. We usually aim for a protective style that is kind to her natural hair. Her hair is extremely kinky and slow to grow. She loves having some length (as most little girls do) to her hair so enter EXTENSIONS. Extensions are another gift from God. Bless extensions.

Everything you see here was done by me. Yes, that is the sound of me patting myself on the back.






(Flat threading for the faux cornrows and Senegalese twists. This is easy and fairly long lasting (4-6 weeks)




(Same style as above, just different view)





(This is some chunkier flat threading for the twists against her head with curly extensions woven in. I love the look of the curlies but these never last as long as I want them to. 4 weeks tops).



(Senegalese twist extensions with some purple hair woven in, then braided into a thick braid)



(This is all her own hair. I simply wound a thick thread around each sectioned piece to make a "coil" then added a bead at the end. Really simple. This lasts about a month with minimal clean up)



(Another view of the same style above. I love this photo of me and my daughter)


(Really LONG Senegalese twists with some hot pink woven in. These took forever and a day to braid)




(Big hair don't care. Curlies for DAYS)



(Short Senegalese twists perfect for summer)




No comments:

Post a Comment