Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

A Public Service Announcement on Honesty

This morning I was talking on my cell phone while driving. Bad move, Sara.

As I pulled into the parking lot of the store I was going to I noticed flashing lights behind me. My stomach sank. I was toast.

The officer came up to my car window. I looked at him sheepishly. I knew what was coming.

"M'am, do you know why I am here right now?"

"Oh yes. I completely screwed up. I know exactly why you are here. I am totally sorry. Here is my license."

He then asked for my insurance and registration. I fumbled through my WAY too messy glove box and pulled out various pieces of paper.

"Ummmm...Here is my registration. Oh whoops! That is from 2008. Hmmmm...Oh look! Here's another one! Oh wait...this is from 2012. What is happening? I really do own this car..."

At this point both the officer and my daughter Sophie were shaking their heads silently. I realized I was doomed.

"Ummm...OK I have no idea where my current registration is. I don't know what to tell you. But here is my insurance paper! Oh crap! That's from 2011! Hang on, hang on...here it is! Oh wait...that's 2014. I can't believe this is happening to me. Oh look here is another one! This is it! Ummmm...sorry this is NOT it. I swear I have valid insurance and registration but I am probably not going to find it in this car. Like...ever. Hmmmm. I'm sorry".

Sophie would not even make eye contact with me. She was silently dying inside and probably thinking her mother will be led off to jail.

The officer took ALL of my various pieces of paper and retreated to his motorcycle. Mentally I started to prepare for going to jail. I also continued to look for valid pieces of paper regarding insurance and registration. I never found any. I started calculating what I was sure was going to be a giant ticket. I mean, how could it not be giant?

The officer returned to my car window.

"M'am? I've just got to tell you...honesty goes a long way with me. You were immediately honest about everything. The cell phone. The insurance. The registration. Immediately. And not everyone does that. It is NOT Ok that you were on your cell phone while driving. But like I said, honesty goes a long way with me. So today I am giving you a warning."

I almost burst into tears. I did not deserve this kind of a break.

So the lesson in all of this? Be honest in all of your dealings! Even when you know you have screwed up badly! Especially when you have screwed up badly! Don't hide it - just admit it. For goodness sake, make sure you have your car insurance papers and registration in a logical place. Seriously. Where ARE those papers? And finally, don't talk on your cell phone and drive at the same time.This is pretty darn important.

This concludes my PSA for the day. All hail honesty!

No comments:

Post a Comment